Cadence Design Systems Inc., San Jose CA, has unveiled five new OrCAD products and three key feature updates as it marks 30-years of continued design and innovation of the software brand. The expanded OrCAD portfolio enables greater product creation efficiency by delivering additional high-speed design capabilities that address productivity and time-to-market challenges.
The new products and key features focus on increasing designers’ productivity by reducing design cycle time and facilitating more advance designs via additional high-speed capabilities.
New products include:
* OrCAD Component Information Portal provides users with CIS database management capabilities and integrated access to parametric component data through an interactive, web interface directly within the OrCAD Capture CIS product.
* OrCAD DFM Checker provides a comprehensive set of manufacturing/fabricationcentric checks for OrCAD PCB Editor. The OrCAD DFM fabrication checks can be run at any time during PCB place and route to help ensure that no fabrication-related issues are present, helping designers avoid fabrication-related delays, additional costs and rework.
* OrCAD Panel Editor provides an intelligent panel documentation environment for OrCAD PCB Editor that significantly simplifies panel creation and documentation.
* OrCAD Sigrity ERC (Electrical Rules Check) provides a comprehensive set of electrical signal quality checks for OrCAD PCB Editor. ERCs are designed to be run by the pcb designer as a first-order electrical validation. This capability enables the pcb designer to make needed changes within the design before more extensive and exhaustive analysis is performed.
* OrCAD Capture Constraint System enables a constraint-driven pcb design flow for OrCAD Capture and OrCAD PCB Editor. Compared to the existing methodology, the OrCAD Capture Constraint System substantially expands the constraint definition and management methodology in OrCAD Capture.
New key technologies
* OrCAD PCB Editor productivity improvements include Scribble Route, an auto/interactive routing feature, which allows the user to loosely sketch a path for a route as the system figures how to detail-route it, as well as group and contour routing updates and via arrays.
* OrCAD PCB Professional high-speed design features now offer enhanced differential pair constraints, propagation constraint support, delay tuning with heads-up display support, net scheduling and impedance constraint support
* OrCAD Signal Explorer is being added to OrCAD Capture technology-based products, enabling front-end signal integrity/signal quality simulation as well as topology exploration and constraint definition. It can also be scaled for additional signal exploration and signal integrity capabilities through OrCAD PCB SI.
30th anniversary of OrCAD
Since its introduction in 1985, OrCAD technology has been at the forefront of PC-based electronic design automation (EDA) tools with industry-leading products for schematic capture such as OrCAD Capture and PSpice technology for circuit simulation. Over the years, OrCAD products have helped countless engineers and electronics manufacturers bring ideas to life and products to market.
“We’ve been partners with Cadence and OrCAD for almost thirty years. OrCAD’s 30th anniversary is proof of its continued customer preference and leadership in technology and innovation,” says Bruno Mouneimne, president of Artedas. “For example the combination of newly added high-speed design capabilities and the OrCAD Sigrity ERC product, which validates the quality of high-speed signals before sending the design off for exhaustive signal integrity analysis, enables pcb designers to tackle the challenges of today’s modern, smart, connected designs, and bring innovative products to market.”
“As mainstream products such as Internet of Things devices and smart consumer electronics continue to evolve, they commonly include functionalities such as high-speed memory and sophisticated serial interfaces that create new challenges for the designer,” says Josh Moore,
director of product marketing for OrCAD, custom IC & pcb group, Cadence. “With our 30th anniversary release, designers now have access to solutions that are suitable for high-speed electronic products that have more complex design requirements. For example, the new OrCAD
Capture Constraint System product significantly enhances the OrCAD design flow with new high-speed constraints and rules specific to high-speed memory and sophisticated serial interfaces, allowing engineers to far more effectively communicate and drive high-speed design intent, which helps to reduce design iterations.”