While it is still too early to tell if synergies between HP and 3Com will result in a stronger competitor to Cisco, it is definitely a noteworthy contender to watch closely, now accounting for 20% of worldwide Ethernet port shipments.
Other market highlights include:
– From 1Q10 to 2Q10, worldwide Ethernet port shipments grew 3.3% while revenues decreased 2.0%.
– 10-Gigabit Ethernet (10GE) port shipments decreased 5.3% while revenues increased 2.5% due to an increase in Layer 3 port shipments.
– Total fixed port shipments grew 3.7% from 1Q10 to 2Q10 and revenues decreased 0.7%.
– Fixed 10GE port shipments grew 21.1% and revenues grew 6.6%.
– From 1Q10 to 2Q10 PoE revenues accounted for 18.3% of total Ethernet switch revenues.
Recent In-Stat research, 2Q10 Ethernet Switch Tracker (#IN1004818LS), provides highly detailed segmentation of the worldwide Ethernet switch market for the current and seven preceding quarters, breaking down port shipments and manufacturers’ revenues by all the following categories:
– Region (North America, EMEA, Asia/Pacific, and CALA).
– Form Factor (Fixed, Modular).
– Wire Speed (Fast, Gigabit, and 10 Gigabit Ethernet).
– OSI Layer (Unmanaged, Web Smart, L2, L3, and L4-7).
– Vendor (18 Vendors).
– In-Stat’s 2Q10 Ethernet Switch Tracker is an Excel pivot-table deliverable with over 7000 individual data points, and 18 detailed data tables.