“In the last year leading product announcements from many semiconductor vendors feature a higher level of integration than that seen before,” says Michelle Abraham, principal analyst, In-Stat. “Newly announced set-top box chips include demodulators specific to their target market and region. For example, Broadcom announced the BCM7530, an HD MPEG-2 receiver with an integrated ISDB-T demodulator for the Japanese market.”
In-Stat’s research found the following points:
– Renesas (formerly NEC) led the market in Blu-ray MPEG SoCs in 2009
– STMicro had 2009 market share above 60% share in the H.264 decoder IC market for terrestrial set top boxes, while Broadcom was the largest supplier of H.264 decoder ICs for the satellite set-top boxes.
– Zoran was the market share leader for MPEG-4 ICs for Mobile CE Applications.
– Among other leading participants in the MPEG segments include MediaTek, Sigma Designs, Trident Microsystems/NXP.
– Worldwide H.264 chip unit shipments will increase by 51% in 2010 over 2009.