Over 600 delegates from 28 countries were present at the IDTechEx Printed Electronics Europe event in Dresden – the industry’s largest event on the topic. The event featured the IDTechEx Printed Electronics Awards in recognition of outstanding achievement. The categories and winners were:
1. Technical Development Device Award Winner: LG Displays
2. Technical Development Manufacturing Award Winner: Hewlett Packard and PowerFilm Solar
3. Technical Development Materials Award Winner: Ciba
4. Best New Product Development Award Winner: PolyIC
5. Best Commercialization Award Winner: GSI Technologies
6. Printed Electronics Europe Champion: Wolfgang Mildner, CEO, PolyIC
LG Displays won the IDTechEx Technical Development Device Award for the world’s highest resolution 14.3-inch flexible colour e-paper display. It has a resolution of 2560 by 1600 sub-pixels and the ability to display nearly 16.7 million colours. This display uses electronic ink between Thin-Film Transistors (TFT) on a thin stainless-steel-foil substrate and Colour Filter Array coated onto the plastic substrate, allowing it to recover its original shape after being bent as well as to produce colour images.